Home: Competency Interviews: Competency Based Interview Questions
How To Do Well In Your Competency Interview
If you have a competency interview coming up, we can help you prepare and give a better performance on the day.
If you'd like to know more about what competency based interviews are, check out our introduction to competency based interviews which includes tips on how to prepare for them.
On this page, we look at how interviewers might assess your Influencing Skills in the interview.
If influencing isn't a requirement of the job you're applying for, just go back to the list of competences and find ones relevant to you. We have many.
Influencing Competence - What Do Employers Look For?
When assessing your influencing skills, interviewers look for past evidence that you:
- Can convince someone of your point of view or persuade them to act in a certain way
Example Competency Interview Questions for Influencing
Here are some example competency based interview questions for assessing influencing skills.
- Tell us about a time when you influenced others to act in a certain way
- What was your objective?
- What methods did you use?
- What was the outcome?
- Describe a situation where you needed to gain the agreement of multiple stakeholders to a course of action
- What approaches or strategies did you use?
- What obstacles did you face?
- How did you overcome these?
- Tell us about a time when you wanted to persuade your boss of something
- What preparation did you do?
- What was your approach?
- How did it go?
- Describe a time when you had to sell a product or service to someone
- What approach did you take?
- What was the outcome?
- What would you do differently next time?
- Tell me about a time when you failed to persuade someone of your point of view
- Why do you think you failed?
- What approach would you take next time?
Other Competency Interview Questions
Don't forget to check out our other example competency based interview questions covering such things as Teamwork, Delegation and Integrity. Just go back to the list of competences and find ones relevant to the job you're applying for. We have many.
If you'd like more help with competency interview questions or are just looking for that extra edge over the competition, you may find the Ultimate Guide To Job Interview Answers helps.
The Guide has more than 99 answers to job interview questions and much more to help you get ahead. Click here to read our full review of this Job Interview Answers Guide.
Getting The Answers YOU Need
Everything you need
All in one place
help and advice
Quick and easy
"How To..." Guides
Top of Competency Interview Page
Home | Site Map | Inside Secrets! | "How To.." Guides | Site Search | Resources