Home: Competency Interviews: Competence Interview Questions
How To Outperform The CompetitionIn
A Competence Interview
On a previous page we introduced competency based interviews, talked a little about how to prepare and promised you some example competence interview questions.
On this particular page, we're looking at how interviewers might assess your Decision-Making Skills at work.
If you don't think effective decision-making is a requirement of the job you're applying for, just return to the list of competences to find ones relevant to your job. We have several.
What Do Employers Look For In Answers?
When assessing your decision-making skills, interviewers look for past evidence that you:
- Make informed, effective and timely decisions
- Have the confidence and commitment to make hard decisions
- Know when to delegate and escalate decision-making
- Involve the right people and use the right information in your decision-making
Example Competence Interview Questions for Decision-Making
Here are some example competence interview questions covering Decision-Making. In-between the main questions are examples of probing questions you might be asked if your interviewers want more information.
- Tell me about a time when you had to make a quick decision without knowing the full facts
- Why did the decision have to be made quickly?
- How did you decide what to do?
- Was it the right decision?
- Describe your last big decision
- What was it?
- How did you reach it?
- What was the outcome?
- Can you share an example of where you took responsibility for a wrong decision
- Why was the decision wrong?
- Why did you take responsibility?
- What was the impact of making the wrong decision?
- Tell me about a time when you involved others in reaching a decision
- Why did you think it was important to involve others?
- What contribution did they make?
- How did it affect the final outcome?
- Tell us about a decision you made which you knew would be unpopular with some people
- Why was it unpopular?
- How did this affect your decision-making- How did you address the ill-feeling the decision created?
- When was the last time you asked your manager to make a decision
- Why didn't you make the decision?
- Has there been a time when a decision you made was challenged?
- Why was it challenged?
- How did you support your decision?
- What happened in the end?
- Tell me about a time when you had to balance the costs, risks and benefits of a decision
- What was the decision?
- What factors did you have to consider?
- How did you weigh up all the factors?
Other Competence Interview Questions
If you liked those, we have other example competence interview questions on such things as Financial and Commercial Awareness, Customer Focus, Energy and Drive and so on. Simply return to the list of competences and find ones relevant to the job you're applying for. We have many.
And if you're looking for advice on how to answer competency interview questions, that's there too!
Getting The Answers YOU Need
Everything you need
All in one place
help and advice
Quick and easy
"How To..." Guides
Top of Competence Interview Page
Home | Site Map | Inside Secrets! | "How To.." Guides | Site Search | Resources